Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Random thoughts

 Lately I've been thinking alot about riding and I'm not even sure where to begin. Do I start by start by saying that it has defined who I am as a person, or say that pretty much every single friend I have is because of it. Even say that everything I have I owe to bicycles in one way or another. Maybe I tell you that riding is more of a lifestyle than a sport?  I guess you could say that it has impacted my life more than anything else has.
 To this day I get that same feeling every time I set foot on that little kids bike. The feeling of freedom and excitement, yet scared shitless all at once. Someday's I hold on for dear life and some days I'm the one in control, kinda like life in general? Don't ya think? As the years go by I have less and less time to actually get out there on my bike, but I tell you what every time I do I have just as much fun as the guys that ride daily. For sure I'm not anywhere near as "good" as I once was, and have lost more tricks over the years than I can count. But I could care less as long as I'm having fun.
 These days every time I get on my bike I make it count, got a "mission" lined up for almost every session. In the last few months I've ridden more new spots than I have in the last 2 years. Lining up spot after spot for my days off of work. Me and a small crew are usually trekking all over the place to get an adventure in. To me some of the best spots are the ones that take the most work and are off the beatin path sorta speak. Looking back at these spots makes me appreciate them so much more. I can always say man look at that and we rode it...crazy. From weird set-ups to fullpipes to new parks or whatever. It's all good. So where am I going with all this rambling? Well I guess I'm saying that some of the best times in my life are spent with my bike and the friends I've made riding it. I'd also saying that as I get older I face the fact more and more that someday I may not have that outlet any longer and that scares the crap out of me more than anything ever has before. I'm staring down the barrel of a gun. So I've been trying to make every last second count. I'm sure I have plenty more years left, but then again who knows? Just something that I think anyone that's been pedaling for 25+ years would agree with. To me there will never be anything that could take it's place and fill it's void.
 Which leads me to my next point, with all these years of riding under my belt I feel like I have so much I want to give back and I've been thinking about different projects to share my bicycle knowledge. This being one of them. I'm kind of at a junction in life where I feel like I could be doing more, but what? Something that would involve me in bikes but satisfy my need to ride......hmmmmmm? Who the hell knows? This is the most personal thing I think I've ever written on here. Inside the random thoughts in my head. Not sure what's next on the road of life for this old guy but I'm strapped in for the long haul........I guess that's enough outta me for now?

No comments:

Post a Comment