Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bikes according to Gamache

 Justin Gamache is someone that over the last few years I've become good friends with. He and I talk about bikes quite a bit, and he's always up on his BMX news. Now anyone that knows him can tell you that the dude definitely has is own opinion on everything, so when I asked him to write something for the blog I knew I'd be getting something alittle bias. But to be honest with you I think I agree with him 100% on this one. So check it out in his own words:
 The problem with BMX today is that it has become too complicated. When BMX is kept simple it is in its best form. Adding a barspin to the end of every grind or rolling away from a triple tailwhip ball riding your top-tube is not what BMX is about. Watching someone like Mike Aitken or Chase Hawk be fluid and making riding look natural instead of forced is always more appealing to my eye. I say all of this knowing that I personally will never do a barspin into or out of any line, I will never do a single tailwhip (let alone three), and I will never be the guy at the skatepark airing out the highest. If trying to do more whips than the last guy is why you started riding and where you find enjoyment, then so be it.
I recently purchased a single-speed road bike, it has brought me back to the enjoyment of just pedaling around. Riding needs more of this, just pure, drama-free cranking. Before a license or owning a car, pedaling to the skatepark downtown was half the fun, now I find myself driving myself to the park or street spots and I am missing out on the basics.
Bringing me to my next point, originality. BMX has become too cookie-cutter. With new web-edits being pumped out every day, one would think that people would want to be more original and have their footage stand out or have people interested. Look at some of the legends of BMX: Mat Hoffman is the reason you are watching Big Air at the X-Games. Ruben Alcantara is the reason why every street rider is doing the stylish wallrides today. Those guys rode to the beat of their own drum, not trying to add that one more barspin or frontflip because of some trend.
To me it has always been about riding my own way and having as much fun with it as possible. I still do an x-up at least once a session, and always find myself pulling my brakes for a quick skid here and there. I like my bike as basic and clean as possible, only a straight cable and pegs on the left, but both of those have been taken on and off to keep it interesting. That’s what puts a smile on my face and that’s why I began to ride my bike, what I do on it no one can take away. What it boils down to is that BMX is supposed to be fun. By riding bikes, you don’t have to show up to practices or answer to coaches. You ride on your own time, at your comfort level, on what makes you the most satisfied. That’s why I always enjoyed just getting on my bike.
I snapped this picture of  Justin  2 years ago at FDR

No comments:

Post a Comment